Monday, August 18, 2014

First time apart

Today marks the beginning of a third week of our vacation in Maine. And it’s the second week since V went back home and we are apart.
We have a plan for him to finish some of the renos in the house. There is work that simply can’t be done with a little one in the house. So we decided it is best if we stayed behind while V finishes at least what we have started (I’m thinking about you, entryway). Once that’s done he will come back for us.
One the one hand, it was a great plan and I’m itching to see the result, on the other, being separated like this simply stinks. Even though I have my parents to help out with baby G (and boy, aren’t they great hand and kindest babysitters ever!), I still feel strange being the major caregiver. For the past three months, V and I worked out a system of shared care and responsibility for baby G and now that he’s away, I really miss it. Not that I can't handle the kid myself, but it feels strange to even give him baths without V being nearby.

Did you have to separate for a while when you had your first kid? How did you manage if you had to?

2 comments:

  1. we're the weirdest couple and just can't do not being together. Big A went on a conference for a week last fall when baby A was 3 months and he hated going alone. We've left C on a few occasions and plan to leave little A for 1 night (sob!) soon-ish (maybe). But as a couple, we find being separated really throws us off. Which sounds so cheezy... and we're not cheezy in the least. But it is what it is.

    I found I did better without big A, than he did being away from the three of us. I was super busy and he was lonely. And I guess I prefer busy! :) And as I get older I completely detest the idea of leaving the kids and going off together. I mean, it sounds like fun, but the paranoid me just doesn't want to even go there.

    Enjoy all the babysitting while you can, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a beautiful comment! You made my day:)
      Men do have a soft spot when they become dads:) I had no idea V was that mellow and that he would take pics of baby G on his phone to look at him while away:)

      Delete