Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Home canning – part 1


We did a lot of home canning back in Russia. Well, my mom did. I was a very "helpful" observer: watching my mom running around kitchen, swearing, sweating, filling up hot jars with all kinds of vegetables and then pouring boiling brine over them. The house was full of pickle, herb, and vinegar aroma that signified the end of summer and time to preserve food for winter.
The fact is that we grew up on home preserved food. There was time in the former Soviet Union when stores didn't sell all kinds of goods, including pickled veggies, jams, juices, there was a deficit of such products. So people turned to home canning and preserving.
I should mention that almost every houshold had a «dacha» - a small garden plot - back then, where people could grow their own produce.

So home canning, although a very labour-intensive process, especially if you can for the whole family, was a great way of saving the harvest and keeping a family fed.
Inspired by my past, I've decided to try preserving some tomatoes and cucumbers from my little garden for the first time here, in Canada. First thing I did, I went to the closest Canadian Tire store and got myself some necessary equipment: a canner (comes with a tray!), set of canning tools, and some Mason Jars. Since I know that I'm into canning for good, it was well worth the investment (around $80).

Admittedly, the whole process was tiresome, I onion-cried a lot, I cut/burned myself, I got hot pepper under my fingernails (which still burns!), but I enjoyed the process anyway! Here is my result, modest in quantity, but rich in quality:)
- 4 jars of hot salsa;
- 6 jars of pickled cucumbers;
- 6 jars of «Roma» and cherry tomatoes;
- 7 jars of «Lecho».
If you are looking for some easy and totally adjustable to your own taste recipies, here you go:
To pickle cucumbers and tomatoes I followed this brine proportion:
For 3 liters of water: 3 tbsp of salt, 2 tbsp. of sugar, 100 grams of vinegar, herbs to taste.
I used 1 liter jars, so if I canned six at a time, I just doubled the proportion.



Here is a couple of very easy recipes that can be altered to your own taste:
“Lecho” 
Ingredients
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    3 lb of field tomatoes, grated (the juice is what we need)
    2 lb of red and green bell peppers, cut in squares
    2 medium red onions, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tb sp salt
    2 tb sp sugar
    1 tb sp of white vinegar (or sweet white wine)
    herbs: 2 bay leaves, 5 black pepper seeds
 Directions
  1. In a large pot heat oil over medium-high.  Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add peppers, stirring to combine. Simmer about 10 more minutes.
  3. Add grated tomatoes, stir to combine.
  4. Add herbs, vinegar, salt and pepper.
  5. Bring to boil.
  6. Pour into hot jars.
Hot Salsa
Ingredients
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    4 lb of cherry tomatoes, cut in cubes
    1 lb of carrots, cut in cubes
    2 medium red onions, chopped
    very small slice of jalapino pepper or any hot papper, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tb sp salt
    Herbs: 1 bay leave, 3 black pepper seeds
Directions
  1. In a large pot heat oil over medium-high.  Add onion, garlic and carrots.
  2. Cook, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
  3. Add tomatoes, stir to combine.
  4. Add hot peppr, herbs and salt.
  5. Simmer and stir until carrots are tender.
  6. Pour into hot jars.
Next week-end I plan to can something with apples, maybe apple juice, jam or both? Local farmer’s baskets are stocked with all kinds of fall produce, and I wish I could can something with those colourful pumpkins and squash!

2 comments:

  1. So impressive! And instructive! Thank you for sharing! ~Marina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Marina!
      Hope to see you here frequently:)

      Delete