Monday, December 17, 2012

DIY duvet cover

I’ve been looking for an affordable cover for a while now. I’ve recently purchased a feather/down filled comforter (which is incredibly warm and light at the same time) and needed a cover for it badly. For some reason they don’t come with everyday use bedding sets. These sets always have a flat sheet, a fitted sheet and couple of pillowcases. What about a blanket cover? Only the big, fancy sets that cost hundreds of $$  seem to have that option. Unfortunately we are not in the position to spend that much on bedding. Maybe someday we’ll be able to afford organic bedding sets like they have at West Elm or Terra 20.
In the meantime, I’ve spotted this flannel set for $34 at Loblaws.

But again, two pillowcases, a sheet and a fitted sheet. No duvet cover whatsoever. I’ve expressed my frustration to my sister and she gave an idea to sew two sheets together, and you’ll have a cover! Brilliant in its simplicity! I already had a plain sheet at home, so all there was to do - sew the two together.
The result  – a much cheaper solution to protect your duvet and keep you warm and cozy.


Quick tips for this project:
1. you can find the proper instructions here. I didn’t really follow them and just made simple straight seams, but it’s always good to learn from the pros:).
2. make room. Dealing with big pieces of textile requires lots of space, so make sure to have a large open area to work in, before committing to the project.
3. sew the top first, then do the sides, and finish the bottom edge last, leaving an about 40” space to insert the duvet. You can add Velcro to keep the gap closed off. Personally, I didn’t use anything since the edge is always hidden by the bed frame and the duvet isn’t really falling out:);
4. be creative. If one side is plain, the other can be with a pattern or different texture (flannel works great with simple sheet and is very weather appropriate).

Stay warm everybody!

3 comments:

  1. This is really a great idea to have some cover on your duvet to protect and keep it safe. I do have feather duvets in my bedroom but I never use to think to have some duvet cover on it. I just got here some fabulous and fantastic ideas that I'll use.
    Thanks for the wonderful share!!!

    ReplyDelete