Monday, November 5, 2012

Craft fair addiction



I know what you might think, who needs to go to a local school craft fair when you can easily shop at Etsy or other online craft stores? Well, that would be me. I’m totally into supporting local artisans if not with purchases, then at least with words of admiration and appreciation for their efforts and creativity. I also like the energy at those fairs - people chatting, school children participating- it’s great to see communities in action.

This Saturday I went to Kanata fair and there were tons of knitted products. Very well made and reasonably priced children and adult accessories - just in time for the season. No wonder I could barely find parking and had to circle few rounds – seemed like all women from west-end Ottawa came to get their kids or grand kids ready for winter!

There was one stand in particular that awaken a little girl inside me: Barbie&Ken knitted clothing! I couldn’t believe the selection and variety of pieces they had. I could only imagine how many hours those women put into these detailed dresses, sweaters, jackets, etc. When I was little, I had a major obsession with those dolls and as much as tried to keep them fashionable and stylish with my hand-sewn clothes, knitted clothing was an unreachable dream. Imagine knitting a real sweater but hundreds times smaller? Wow, was my reaction:)



For those who are interested in such events, there is one coming up: Immaculata Christmas Craft Fair, Saturday, November 24, 10:00-3:00 pm, 140 Main street, Ottawa.
Great way to do your holiday shopping and support local vendors!
Oh, few tips I've learned at those events:
- bring cash, the smaller bills the better. Last time ATM charge was $3.75 and not all vendors have change on them;
- if you have little kids, don’t forget a stroller;
- arrive earlier, to get parking and avoid big crowds.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to go to Main Street! Putting this on my calendar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out there are two more coming up:
      CHRISTMAS CRAFT & GIFT SHOW
      
Nov. 11th and 18th - RA Centre
, 10:00-4:00pm
, Free admission
      and SIGNATURES SHOW, Ottawa Convention Centre, November 14-18, tickets are $10.
      Lots to choose from!

      Delete
  2. Just holler and I'll tag along!
    Another worthy event I just learned about from somebody at work:
    http://www.thirdworldbazaar.ca
    It started on Thanksgiving and will run for the next 2 weekends.
    ~ M

    ReplyDelete