Monday, December 3, 2012

Taking on bathroom DIY

Right off the start, I have to admit that our bathroom is quite livable. Previous owners gave it a quick “face lift”. They changed the flooring, fixtures and applied fresh paint. And I wouldn’t touch a thing if that had been done properly. For example, the floor underneath the tile squeaks, the toilet seat wasn’t attached accurately so now it rocks back and forth, the fixtures are leaking and are very tight to close or open.
Not a fan of the layered rim either:
Or the three amigos:
I simply hate the original vanity from the 80’s. It's bulky, there are no shelves inside for storage, it’s also very low and what’s with the handles in the middle of the cabinetry? It makes no sense to me, but I guess people back then had their reasons:

The bathroom doesn’t have a window, as you can see, lighting is already an issue, and with this pale colour palette it’s almost depressing to be spending time in there.

So the demolition is scheduled this week. Hopefully, there will be pictures to share simply because when my man gets his hands dirty, there is no way I should be interrupting the process with my camera:)
Bear with us, folks, this project will be long and full of surprises, I’m sure of that. There is a lot to be decided on, argued about and, finally, purchased and installed. That's the non-labour-related truth behind DIY-ing: lots of compromise, research, learning, and making decisions.
So good luck to us!

4 comments:

  1. it's not completely horrible, but I feel your pain. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great example in mind for inspiration:) wink-wink So hopefully it will work out!

      Delete
  2. Good luck to you guys! But don't split your hairs over this too much - remember, it's only a bathroom! :) ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We'll try not too, although there are already so many thoughts in the head!

      Delete