Monday, June 9, 2014

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

I kid you not, this was my state for the most part of the past month – half awaken, half sleepy, always with clinging infant, who didn’t seem to understand that as much as I was ready to take care of him, I also needed my own time (getting my hair done would have been nice:))!

Boy, you can’t be prepared for this type of commitment.  Our (mostly mine, as V had to work) days were all about taking care of this little guy – feeding, pumping to feed, changing, bathing and doing TONS of laundry.
Some days I felt like I was in prison and baby G was my prison warden. I ate, slept, took showers and spent time on the computer only when he allowed:)

"Challenges” of the first month that we dealt with as first time parents:

Sleeping
As much as we were hoping to have a baby who sleeps a lot, it didn’t happen. We have a wakeful type of baby on our hands and that causes lots of broken nights, mornings and even days. This isn't the type of baby that you can care for in short bursts of time and then ignore in between. No. He makes himself felt almost all day long and a good deal of the night, too. Some nights it was like torture: I'd put him down all changed, fed and burped but once I started drifting off into sleep myself, I got awaken by a very angry, fussy boy. I started taking him out of the bassinet and into our bed where he had constant comfort and I didn’t need to sit up to feed. It seemed to work and I got couple hours of continued sleep but something is telling me that I will pay for that decision later.

Feeding
There wasn’t a problem for baby G here. It was me. I cried one day because I was so tired of this constant feeding and pumping business. It felt like that’s all I was doing throughout the day and night and I was ready to thrown in a white towel - aka give in to formula.

Pooping
Weird thing happened around week two. G developed a grunting baby syndrome. He seemed to have forgotten what muscles to relax at a certain time and instead turned all red, cried and grunted. Apparently not much could be done to help him (as much as we would like to), this should go away once he’s a bit older.

But of course, not all days this past month were gloomy. We got to know each other better, learned few tricks and all ready for next month's surprises:

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for such great pictures and for sharing your experiences - in an honest and straight forward fashion! Despite the challenges, Baby G is definitely a keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      Thanks for the compliment as well:)

      Delete
  2. oh, i so sympathize. having gone through this not so long ago myself. it gets easier and different and you will def miss these days in the future. i know it doesn't make today easier. it always helped me to think that this is just a phase. it will change soon enough. and crying is absolutely normal. i cried this morning because my boy won't eat and is a crawling/cruising tornado. no rest for this mommy.

    oh, and yes, you're now forever on their schedule :) speaking of which, gotta go make food for C so she eats a good dinner before taking her to ballet.

    hugs! feel free to vent any time :) been there and absolutely sympathize

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time and writing such encouraging comment. I needed that:)
      Hope you have help with your two miracles. One kid is a lot of work and I can only imagine how juggling two must be like, you're my hero!
      HUgs to baby A (hope he eats well soon) and Miss C.

      Delete