Wednesday, May 21, 2014

My no medication birth plan

I had good intensions.
I was determined to have unmedicated birth. Not that I had anything against drugs in particular, no, I just wanted to try and do it the way my mother and her mother before her did it back in the day. After all, if they could do it, why couldn’t I, right?

Well, wrong. And let me tell why my plan simply did not pan out for me.

On Thursday, May 8th, I woke up in the morning feeling slight cramping in my belly. Although, barely noticeable, it continued on in the afternoon. My mother was with me during the day while V was working and I kept telling her that it is probably the Braxton Hicks and the body is getting ready for the due date, May 12 or later and it’s no big deal.

So we spent the day like nothing was happening, went for a walk, shopping, cooking and were planning to visit the swimming pool. To my surprise, the pain became stronger and more frequent but still very bearable.

I have to say, it was such a weird day. I had a feeling that maybe something grand is about to happen but yet was dealing with daily routine: calling places, emailing people, house work, grocery shopping, cooking, etc. The pain was so minimal and irregular that I was sure I was experiencing practice contractions:)

But weird or not, that day went by pretty quickly and at about 10 pm I got an answer. I wasn’t experiencing BH, I was in real Early stage of labour. At this point I’ve already jotted down timing for several contractions and decided to call the hospital to let them know that I might be on the way soon.

At around 4 am on Friday, May 9, the contractions were at the point that I had to sit on the fitness ball (my savior) to rock my body and really concentrate on breathing. Once contractions became five minutes apart, me, V and my mom were driving through the sleeping neighbourhoods of the west side of Ottawa to the nearest hospital.

By that point I had problem walking (or sitting in the car) through each contraction, so when we couldn’t find an open entrance at the hospital at that late hour (we should have done a test drive), I thought I would give birth right in the foyer of the hospital entrance.

Fortunately, I did not. I was admitted and the waiting game had started.

I have to say a few words about the hospital I didn't give birth in.
From where I come from, women give birth in birthing homes instead of hospitals. There are doctors, midwifes and nurses there, so it is like a little hospital in a way but its only goal is childbirth. There is one in my hometown back in Russia. All my friends and relatives had given birth there, including my mother. It was built in early 50s: It’s a beautiful but very old building that needs repairs desperately.
I can’t say much about the quality of care there since I hadn't experienced it first hand, but I’ve heard stories from friends and relatives about the place. For a long time, visitors were not allowed in the building and the only way to see a mother and the baby was by showing through the sealed windows. The staff is also very strict and new mothers have to obey the set feeding times, as well as rules on how to handle babies. It’s also known for high rates on C-sections.

I feel tremendous gratitude I was able to give birth and experience such wonderful after care at the hospital here in Canada instead. The nurses were amazing and very knowledgeable. In only two days of staying there, I’ve gained more information and got out knowing about newborn care more than I thought I could handle with my fuzzy brain.

But back to labour.

Once admitted, I thought I’d have a quick delivery. Yep, every woman’s dream! To speed things up but ease the pain down, I relaxed in the tub couple of times, walked in the hallway with V by my side, rocked on the fitness ball (yes, I brought it with me) and tried breathing in the laughing gas but to my surprise, things weren’t progressing fast enough. In fact, I was at 8.5 cm at about lunch time on May 9th. Nurses got changed, doctors got switched, but I was still stuck in pain with nowhere near the desired 10cm.
By the time I passed 30 hours of labour, I was still stuck at 9cm. Exhausted, hungry and helpless I’ve asked my nurse if this can be helped a little. She offered epidural again. Throughout all my sufferings, she was proposing it to me to ease the pain and get some rest but my stubborn nature kept declining. And I would have kept on rejecting it, had I known that 10 cm will happen soon. But since I had no clue, in fact, time had totally stopped on me in that delivery room and so did my cervix. It wasn’t dilating and I couldn’t take another contraction.

I accepted it.
What a relief a felt right after it! I was able to nap for a bit and got some rest. Even though I couldn’t feel my legs, I was very comfortable. Doctor came in shortly and did a check. Guess what? I was at 10cm and it was time for pushing.With no natural urge to be felt, I tried my best to push G out for about an hour. But to my surprise, he wasn’t coming out. At that point I knew I needed help. The doctor read my mind – a bit of vacuum assistance and my very best push and baby G was out! I was beyond relived and happy once his strong cry broke in the silence.
It was the best sound I’ve ever heard and certainly the best/worst day in my entire life.

8 comments:

  1. thanks for your honesty! :) I've had two epidurals and was a bit more stubborn with the not getting one the second time around. i wanted to prove something. because some how getting it again felt like a failure, again. but you know what?? two healthy kids and a healthy recovery for me both times? i feel nothing but lucky. i'm not quite sure why the epidural comes with a side of guilt, or why we put that guilt upon ourselves. in the end it doesn't matter how, all that matters is holding your baby. congratulations again, mommy!! happy snuggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, sister! I did feel guilty that I gave in to it. But like you said, healthy baby and healthy mommy - that's what really counts in the end:)
      Funny story - at one point I asked the nurse how come no one else is screaming in the unit but me. Her reply was - they had an epidural! I felt like I was the only one in the whole birthing centre trying things "old way":)

      Delete
    2. No way you should feel guilty! You tried for 30 hours without it. You are a superwoman! A birthing plan is just a guideline. I've heard so many stories of the plan just going right out the window when labour starts. Way to go. You look beautiful in your last pic by the way ;)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your birth story! I'm not sure if you felt this way, but the closer I get to my due date (4 more weeks!) the more I want to hear about how it went for other people. 30 hours of unmedicated labour sounds brutal, but I love your attitude about finally breaking down and accepting the epidural. I feel very much the same way you did - I'd like to have an unmedicated birth, but I recognize that my situation could end up like yours, more than any person should have to handle. That little baby is the most important thing, right? Photos of those first moments between mom and baby always get to me... Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad if it helped!
      I was reading up on other women's birth stories too:) I also got some tips from a colleague's wife who gave birth couple months before me, it helped knowing what she went through.
      I'm sure you'll do great, Jeanette. It's better to have an open mind about it and not be stuck on the idea of proving anything to yourself or others, as you can see, it doesn't work that way!

      Delete
  3. This quote from George Orwell's 1984 stuck with me: “Of pain you could wish only one thing: that it should stop. Nothing in the world was so bad as physical pain. In the face of pain there are no heroes.” No one who is in that kind of pain would willingly choose to forgo relief that is epidural - unless it's unavailable or cannot be administered (too late, etc).. You did a great job from the very beginning and especially at the end of your exhausting labor. I was there and I know how hard it was.. Very happy and privileged to have been there when my nephew was born!! Love, ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your beautiful comment, sweetie! I was happy you were there with me:) Love you too!

      Delete